Sunday, September 11, 2011

I think I am the new babysitter

I have 4 host sisters altogether here in Cape Coast: Acquaaba (10 years old), Maud (7 years old), Charlotte (4 years old), and Eden (3 months old). Don’t get me wrong, I love children and I love how they call me “Sister Sarah”, but there are definitely times when I need to have just “Sister Sarah” time. I made the mistake of letting them watch cartoons on my computer the other day and it is an everyday event now. I have no privacy, no personal space, and everything that is mine is now theirs; I guess I’m really part of the family now J I love it! Charlotte is always asking me if she can sleep with me in my room lol. All of the family members sleep in one room with 3 mattresses lined up in a row on the floor. They have plenty of room and it is a part of the culture to be without personal space. It is absolutely hilarious how Maud comes in my room to get my iPod, puts the headphones in backwards and upside down, and dances all around the house to the music. Acquaaba speaks the most English out of everyone, even more than my host mom Evelyn, and always wants to watch movies and cartoons with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment