Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Where Did You Learn to Drive

So, it was a 4 hour taxi drive from Accra to Cape Coast and all I have to say is wow! All of the drivers have a complete disregard for stop signs, pedestrians, seatbelts, fear of getting hit by big trucks when passing on a 2-lane road (and the majority of the roads are only 2 lanes), animals, and speed limits. I felt my heart skip a beat at least every couple of minutes on the trip. When we went through big towns with markets, all the vendors on the street would smile at Hayley and I because we are obroni (white). The women and children would carry baskets full (and I mean FULL) of all sorts of food, water, candy, toys, etc. I really want to learn how to balance that stuff on my head, plus it would help with my posture. We saw a lot of funeral processions and weddings on the ride to Cape Coast. Typically all funerals are held on Saturdays, while most of the weddings are on Saturday or Sunday. Ghana is primarily a Christian country, but also it has Muslim and Traditionalist beliefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment