Monday, September 12, 2011

Too Much for One Week

Okay, so I have been through way too much in one week here in Ghana. The first day that we got to Cape Coast we went to "Festival" which is like the Ghana version of Carnival. It was pretty insane. They had this huge parade (for lack of a better word) and everybody was out in the streets dancing and singing. The parade included all of the chiefs (of the tribes in Cape Coast), the king of Cape Coast, and the President of Ghana. Yes, I saw President John Mills and his motorcade from a few meters away. The one thing that Haley and I thought peculiar was that they had blocked off all access to the president, but allowed us access so we could stand literally right across him. The reason was because we are white. The people of Ghana could not get to where Haley and I stood. The police and secret service treated us like royalty simply because of our color and gave us special permission that not even Ghanians had. That made me feel very uncomfortable. Anyways, after "Festival" we went to a restaurant called "The Castle" and of course I ordered pizza. It in no way tasted like pizza, but it was still good :) Haley and I must have been extremely lucky that night because "Korye" was performing. They are a famous dance theater group that performs traditional drumming and dancing. It was beautiful! I will put pictures up later when I have a reliable internet source. The next day, my host family picked me up and I came to the house that I will call home for the next 3 months. It is an upper middle-class home with a fridge and a tv with basic cable. However, there is no AC, dishwasher, or laundry machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment